Thursday, May 12, 2011

What If?

So for our advanced composition class we were given a task to go to writermag.com and read an article then respond. The article I read was about a writer who got writers block. A close friend of hers tried to help her by giving her an idea of someone knocking on the door. She then went into depth on how many times writers and readers think to themselves "what if" and how she created a whole separate book made out of some of her scenarios she thought of. I myself have asked this same question and my mind starts to wander into the many possibilities of what might happen. At the end of the article she states that the next time you get writers block, to ask yourself "what if." I find this very interesting and I'm very tempted to try this the next time I'm trying to write a story and I don't know where else to take a character. Most times I know how I want the story to end but not exactly how to get there which I think most writers would agree is one of the most difficult parts. I'm not sure if this will actually forever cure writers block but it seems like it would help with most stories as long as it sticks to what you want to happen and your imagination doesn't take you too far. So now I would like to ask you a question. What if?

No comments:

Post a Comment